Re: [xml-dev] Nested Documents (was: XML 2.0)

> I don't understand what you mean by "more tightly linked"...

In a single-rooted document, <a>...</a>, when I see that final closing bracket I can be pretty sure that I've got everything.  (Yes, trailing comments and PI's I handwave aside.)  If the input stream ends before that closing bracket, then I know something went wrong.  My XML consuming application can pretty much treat the input as a stream of bytes and not care where how or why something went wrong; at least at the first level.  See the bracket, things ok; don't see the bracket, something broke.

There's no way to know, in a generic way, without doing very specific things depending on when where why and how the XML is transported.  Right now, you don't have to.  Yes, that's a simplification, 80/20, whatever you want to call it.  I'd call it a trade-off and say the current design is the right one. :)

It has issues in the real world, too.  Suppose you're writing a book and someone inserts a pagebreak between <a> and <b> in a multi-root document.  Are they gonna get confused or misled if they're not explicitly told to turn the page?

        /r$

--
STSM, DataPower Chief Programmer
WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances