persisting java object model..

How would I persist an in-memory java object model? Is
it  efficient to convert this object model into XML
and store it in a DB? OR is serialization the way to
go? Definitely, there could be far better solutions
out there.

This object model involves all sorts of relationships
that exist among java classes (like inheritance,
composition, association,etc). I guess designing an
XML schema to represent this is a big challenge unless
I find something to reuse.

Who is the consumer of this object model? Could be
GUI- just as an example. Could IDEs (like eclipse) be
able to draw the Object model from a runtime Java
objects? Not sure.

Since XML could be one of the possible solutions, I
used this mailing list.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?