len

From: W. E. Perry [mailto:wperry@fiduciary.com]

Hi Len.

For what I think is the growing consensus of linguists on this question, you
might look at e.g.
http://www.atypon-link.com/WDG/doi/abs/10.1515/cllt.2005.1.2.295?cookieSet=1
&journalCode=cllt
[actually, *you* probably already have :)]
<quote>There is a long-standing tradition in Chomskyan generative grammar of
rejecting the relevance of corpus studies. A variety of arguments are put
forth to justify this rejection, most importantly, that corpora are
necessarily "finite and somewhat accidental" while the set of grammatical
utterances is "presumably infinite" (Chomsky 1957: 15), and that, therefore,
"probabilistic considerations have
nothing to do with grammar" (Chomsky 1964[1962]: 215, n. 1; cf. also Chomsky
1957: 17). Chomsky is frequently reported as backing up this claim with the
observation that

the sentence I live in New York is fundamentally more likely than I live in
Dayton, Ohio purely by virtue of the fact that there are more people likely
to say the former than the latter (McEnery and Wilson 2001: 10).

As always, it is difficult to decide whether Chomsky seriously offers this
example in support of his position. Not that it really matters: Chomsky's
contempt for  and his ignorance of  quantitative issues is of no concern to
modern corpus linguistics. Chomsky's irredeemably anti-empirical views are
firmly rooted in his anti-empiricist philosophy, and no amount of
quantitatively sophisticated corpus-based
argumentation will ever change his mind.</quote>

Author(s): Anatol Stefanowitsch

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.