RE: [xml-dev] Defining an XML vocabulary: specify syntax, semantics, and BEHAVIOR?

Bruce Cox wrote:

> It seems to me that whether or not to specify behavior
> with vocabulary would depend on the context.

> Roger's book markup is a good example, because it appears
> to me essentially devoid of behavior.  That can work well
> for books, because the instances would be used in an industry
> where the behavior is very well established and documented,
> even standardized, in other places.  The markup does not need
> to encode the behavior, because almost anyone using it would
> already know what to do.

> In other cases, if the behavior is not encoded with the data,
> it could happen that no one would ever understand what it was
> supposed to represent or what to do with it (for example, the
> radio messages in Carl Sagan's "Contact").

Excellent Bruce!  I particularly appreciate your example of Carl
Sagan's "Contact" movie.  That hit home for me.

For those who have not seen the movie: Earth received radio signals
from a highly advanced civilization from a distant galaxy.  Embedded
within the signals are both data and instructions for using the data
(it described how to build a device to transport humans at
faster-than-light, as I recall).

Without a specification of the behavior, the "Contact" data would have
been unfathomable to the Earthlings.  I think this is an excellent
example of the need to specify:

   - syntax
   - semantics
   - behavior (instructions)