RE: [xml-dev] Identifying the subcommunity which generated an instance document?

Hi Rick,

> I don't think I have ever seen an XML
> document where I didn't know where it
> came from

Suppose that you receive an instance document from the book community.
It may have been generated from a book seller, a book distributor, or a
book printer.  You don't know which subcommunity generated it.  You
only know that it came from the book community.

You want to validate the instance document you've just received.

Suppose there is a Schematron schema for each subcommunity, i.e.
book-seller.sch, book-distributor.sch, and book-printer.sch.  Which
schema should you apply to the instance document?

There are three possibilities:

1. You received information out-of-band that the instance document came
from the book-seller subcommunity, so you apply book-seller.sch.

2. You peek inside the instance document and see role="book seller" so
you apply book-seller.sch.

3. You peek inside the instance document and see the subcommunity
processing instruction with role="book seller" so you apply
book-seller.sch.

What do you think?

/Roger