RE: [xml-dev] Identifying the subcommunity which generated an instance document?

I don't look at it from this perspective.

Instead, think of messages. XML documents are messages, they have a sender
and a set of intended recipients. There is a purpose in sending the message.
The purpose of the message (what does the sender want the recipient to do
with it) can either be an explicit part of the message, or it can be
implicit from the context (the channel on which the message is sent). The
question of who sent it is one part of that context, but only a part.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/