Re: [xml-dev] reasons why an XML instance must be validated witha XML schema

Philippe is precisely correct.  But I would put it more pungently: When
information interchange fails, the finger of blame must be pointable.
If information interchange has already failed, then if the XML is
consistent with its schema, maybe the problem is on the recipient's
side.  If the XML is not OK, then probably there's at least one problem
on the sender's side.

It's usually best to *avoid* information interchange failures, and
that's another good reason to validate outgoing XML instances.  Before
sending the XML instance, the producer process can check whether, if
information interchange later fails, the parser will point the finger of
blame at the producer.  It's a quality-control measure for people who
prefer to avoid situations in which their work is subject to objective
criticism.  (And that's just about everybody, I guess.)

As far as I know, there's no other reason for validation than pointing
the finger of blame.  If all information interchange failures can be
detected and diagnosed in other ways, then there's no need for XML
validation.

If you work in the real world, where failures of information interchange
sometimes occur, XML validation is normally one of the least expensive
and most powerful ways to detect, diagnose and prevent information
interchange failures.   (It can't detect every cause of information
interchange failure, of course.)