reasons why an XML instance must be validated with a XML schema

I just started working on a project that uses JMS/WebSphere MQ with non-J2EE systems to build an enterprise system. We would be using XML for all the request/response message flows that take place between two system (for example, a JMS Listener and one or more than one queues.

I was posed with the following scenario: Our Listener Module submits document requests in XML formatted data into an input message queue monitored by a document generaton engine.
The need for validating the XML naturally arises.  Should the XML be validated against an XML schema.
The question they raised was:
If so, why should we use XML schema to validate XML?

So this is the question I am trying to answer for myself and for my team here.

Any suggestions, ideas are gratefully accepted.

thanks
ilango