Re: [xml-dev] reasons why an XML instance must be validated with a XML schema

Writing a schema is also helpful for developer to developer communication.
It captures the XML specification in a reasonably compact, (mostly)
unambiguous specification.  That helps in the initial development, and also
perhaps later when the system is extended in some unforeseen way, perhaps to
another platform.

As Robert mentions, during development using a validating XML parser
verifies the implementation, and to some degree a working implementation can
be used to validate the schema is correct.

BTW - another issue to consider is that most systems evolve over time.  If
the systems evolve in lock-step then running without validation in
production may be an option (and just run validation in development).  But
if they are likely to evolve on a separate time line (perhaps due to
functionality not specifically related to the XML processing), it may be
worth including validation in the production version, because even changes
in areas that seem well away from the actual XML bit may have repercussions
in the way the XML operates.  After all, real systems often through up
scenarios that the test cases miss, and the quicker you can detect them, fix
them and update the test suite the better.

HTH,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for more info