Re: [xml-dev] Last tagging vs Mark up

On Wed, Sep 17 2008 10:03:53 +0100, mike@saxonica.com wrote:
>> The TEI folks call what I call "marking up"
>> and some call "tagging" by the name of
>> "encoding" and they hire folks to "encode"
>> historical documents.
>
> Well, any community is entitled to its own jargon, but this seems poorly
> chosen. If the process involves changing "Gloucestershire" to

When the name of the project is "Text Encoding Initiative", what would
you expect them to call the action?  "Texting"?  "Initiativating"?

When it involves producing computer-sensible markup corresponding to
squiggles on a page -- including markup for notes scrawled in margins,
crossings out, coffee stains (maybe?), etc. -- then "encoding" may not
be too far off the mark.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2