Re: [xml-dev] Should we include the XML prolog in the XPath datamodel, or DOM

Hello,

From my point of view, the prolog is just useful for parsing :
  • version="1.0" : just in case another version would exist in the future (multiple roots, multiple relationships,...)
  • encoding="..." : so the parser can interpret correctly and convert the following characters !
DOM is just concerned by the document in memory where just one encoding is used (UTF-32 for example).

XPath expressions are written as strings which could use a different encoding...

The result tree of DOM API calls or of XSL transformations is usually saved or transfered : another encoding is necessary so the prolog has to be written when serializing.

Alain COUTHURES
<agenceXML>
http://www.agencexml.com
Bordeaux, France

Mukul Gandhi a écrit :
7870f82e0809200524j372de030o9346bf7789124ec4@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
Hi all,
   I wrote the following blog post. This is perhaps a weird thought,
for people having worked with XML for long.

http://mukulgandhi.blogspot.com/2008/09/should-we-include-version10-in-xpath.html

This is a short description of the points I have in mind.

Could you please let us know, if my logic have any merit.