Re: [xml-dev] Discover data patterns or Create data patterns?

It might boil down  to semantics again, but I think the presence of a
"pattern" necessarily requires more than one item, and possibly many of
them.
Pure mathematicians would create a "formula" when they find a pattern,
while statisticians would term a pattern hypothesis "one of high degree
of confidence" when sufficiently many instances match the pattern
hypothesis.  One "creates" a pattern through formula, while the other
"describes" a pattern through measurements.  So I don't think it is
necessary for pattern discovery and creation to be mutually exclusive -
they both could co-exist peacefully.  Likewise for descriptive-ness and
prescriptive-ness.

My take is:
A "master"  data designer  finds a construct that "best" match all the
requirements, including technical, financial, transitional,
operational, user and various other imposed constraints.
A "novice" data designer creates a construct, then attempts to find a
problem that best match the construct which s/he has created.
Others probably lie somewhere in between.

For your last question, on the basis that nobody is born a master data
designer, it is safe to say that there must exist steps which novice can
take to gain mastery (ie, assuming your question is an existential
query).  Now as to what steps, let's say that a novice designer who
can't perceive the patterns of success of master designers would have a
smaller chance of success?

I just found a "lack of pattern" - my reply has no relationship with XML....

Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai