Re: [xml-dev] Tradeoffs of XML encoding by enclosing all content in CDATA blocks

> Whilst I am pretty much in agreement with all of the sentiments
> expressed here, its interesting that no one has really come up with a
> compelling argument for not using CDATA to resolve this encoding
> issue. This makes it quite difficult for designers to argue against
> this approach as the OP suggests when faced with that challenge.

Encoding (as opposed to escaping) is one of the compelling reasons...
XML written as a string is often in the platform default encoding
(cp-1252 on Windows) which is then read using UTF-8 when no prolog is
present...  or worse still the string contains a hand made prolog with
encoding="UTF-8" but is still written in a different encoding.

So the main compelling reasons for using a proper XML writer are:

- encoding
- escaping
- well-formedness checking
- namespace well-formed checking   (I think anyway...)

"using CDATA to resolve this issue" is hacking around the problem
rather than doing the right thing, and will always cause problems down
the line.

Andrew Welch
Kernow: http://kernowforsaxon.sf.net/