XML API Course Content: Yoir opinion

Dear all, I am running a course in XML API at university level.
Currently, it has been added to the curricula of a number of
non-computer scientist study programs (more informatics, web design
etc.) and the program directors are concerned with the amount of
programming that is involved in the course. The reason is my strong
belief in that the students must range through the state of-the art
techniques for processing XML to be able to telll future employers as
well as themselves that they know XML APIs. Currently, they get a
briefer of XSLT,  XQuery, XML Schema, DOM and SAX which they apply to
three different XML sources so they can compare and contrast. The
students get template programs in which they have to fill in details (of
different levels of difficulty) as well as tools for directly validating
if their output is correct or not. Note that XSLT, XQuery etc. are not
strictly APIs, but I cover them since they are among the major basic
ways of processing XML in my view. Students typically feel that they get
feedback quickly and get insight in how to process XML. Strangely, they
favor XSLT over XQuery even though they have studies SQL before.

The course is 25% of s semester and at basic level (undergraduate)
level. (In Europes, in 7,5 ECTS credits). It is preceded by a course
that covers the basic XML stuff (well-formedness, tags, elements,
attribute etc.).

Now, one of the program directors essentially wants the students to
write a PHP program accessing an XML source and display as HTML. He
considers this to be sufficient for a pass. So, we have a slight
difference in opinion of what is required to pass an XML API course.

So, what is your opinion?

--
Carpe Diem!
===