RE: [xml-dev] XML API Course Content: Yoir opinion

I'm a little surprised to see this level of programming detail in a
non-computer-science course, but it all depends what you are trying to
achieve.

The main consideration in choosing what technologies to teach your students
should be the likelihood that they will need to learn some completely
different technology once they are employed, and at least one new technology
per year if they are to remain employed. The only durable skills you are
teaching are problem solving, teamwork, information gathering, etc - and of
course the ability to learn new skills. Also I would hope that they learn as
much from the choice of application to tackle (e.g. web site design) as from
the tools used to tackle it.

I do think that particularly with non-computer-scientists you should be
teaching higher-level languages rather than lower-level programming
interfaces (like PHP/DOM). That should give the students more time to
concentrate on the usability of the system they are developing rather than
getting bogged down in low-level debugging. And it's closer to industrial
good practice: the only reason for using lower-level interfaces is that you
need the performance, and your students don't.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/