Re: [xml-dev] Should Subject Matter Experts Determine XML Data Implementations?

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Nonetheless, my question remains: what is the connection between a Data
> Specification and a derived XML Schema design?

Perhaps in a simplistic way, Data Specification is "executable" by human
users where user can look at an incoming document and decide against the
Data Specification whether the document is valid or not, while XML
Schema is executable by machine in the usual manner.

But the connection is not exactly one-to-one in general.  Data
specification tells us what the user apparently wants , but is generally
"leaky" in that in might not have described certain exclusions or odd
inclusions.  XML Schema says very specifically what is accepted and what
not, but may be over-specified against the original Data Specification,
such as the use of recursive type definitions.

XML Schema is also not the all-inclusive data filter/specifier.  Simple
example is the Data Specification describing the input of a valid and
correctly formated address.  Any XML Schema alone for the address type
could not have prevented a non-existent but valid address line  (eg "123
Mars Avenue"), which is scarcely what the user wants.  But Data
Specification is at least "intended" to be the all-inclusive
specification for the user.  Therein, it would seem, lies the inherent
discrepancies when attempting to establish a connection between the two.

regards,
Chin Chee-Kai