RE: [Summary #2] Should Subject Matter Experts Determine XML Data Implementations?

Hi Folks,

Below is an example of a business interest influencing an XML data
design.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do you agree with my example? Would you revise it in any way?

2. Can you think of another simple, compelling example of a business
interest influencing an XML data design?

EXAMPLE OF BUSINESS INTERESTS INFLUENCING XML DATA DESIGN

A SME specifies, "There are three methods of payment: Paypal, money
order, or cashier's check."

Here is an XML data design which expresses the SME's specification:

   <Payment>
       <Method>Paypal</Method>
       <Method>money order</Method>
       <Method>cashier's check</Method>
   </Payment>

Then, a business person announces, "Our business has a partnership with
Paypal. We earn money each time a customer pays using Paypal. While we
do accept the other payment methods, we earn no money with them. So, be
sure to design the data so that Paypal is accentuated and the others
are de-emphasized."

To de-emphasize the two other payment methods, the above XML data
design is modified so that they are put lower in the data hierarchy:

   <Payment>
       <Method>Paypal</Method>
       <Alternate>
           <Method>money order</Method>
           <Method>cashier's check</Method>
       </Alternate>
   </Payment>

Thus we see an example of the influence of business interests on XML
data design.

/Roger