[xml-dev] RE: [Summary #2] Should Subject Matter ExpertsDetermine XML Data Implementations?

That isn't an example of "a business interest influencing an XML data
design", that is an example of inappropriate interpretation of a user
requirement. It is common for users, and subject matter experts, to
be unfamiliar with the layers of an application, and thus for user
interface requirements to be expressed as something else, in this
case, data design requirements. The appropriate thing to do when a
user requests expressing something in an inappropriate layer is to:
   - make sure you understand the real requirement, and that the user
      knows you understand it,
   - document the requirement,
   - pass it on to the people designing the layer where that is an
       appropriate request
   - explain to the user where this request should be handled, and why,
   - make sure that the data design is rich enough to support creating
      the user interface the user seems to be requesting.

This takes longer, in the short run, than making the inappropriate
design that has been requested, but is worth the investment not only
becuase this piece of the design will be better but also because the
whole process will improve as everyone involved is educated.

-- Tommie