Re: [xml-dev] Transformation of RelaxNG syntax into presentationof required markup

Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
> Interesting idea there.  If it is successful, it might open up a new
> chapter for programming.
>
> While it is probably "obvious" that writing variables and function
> names in Chinese is "obviously" not workable with present ways of
> representing source code, we should remember that variables and
> functions are basically abstract objects which form the elements used
> in the logic of the programs.
Oh, I don't mean that Chinese shouldn't use Chinese variable names, or
Chinese tags for markup. I am more interested in the international
cooperation aspects at the moment.

> That their appearances in almost all present-day programming languages
> are integrally tied to their English-spelling tokens could still be
> made historical if a new "pure logic" form of representing these
> abstract structures could be constructed, and keeping the "names" of
> variables and functions  as multiple multilingual descriptions.
I know Japanese use Japanese regularly. The languages that don't provide
good I18n for langauge tokens do not do well in non-Latin countries, is
my impression.
> Could XML-based representation be possible (just thinking aloud)?  It
> seems to have already the capability to "hang" multiple multilingual
> descriptions off logical DOM nodes...  Rick, how'bout a trial XML-C
> programming language?
ISO DSRL allows renaming of element names and attributes (and
enumerations) to allow localized versions of XML documents.  I don't see
how China's UOF could become an international standard (which is being
suggested) without that. Certainly there could be a similar renaming
utility for programming languages. I suppose for Java and languages with
run-time access to types, you would also need to consider about renaming
the classes etc inside the byte code libraries.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe