Re: [xml-dev] xml over http - RFC 3023

> The problematic thing is that RFC3023 and RFC2616 specify defaults in
> case it's missing, and these defaults are even conflicting.

In my understanding, IESG approved the default in RFC 2616 only because 8859-1
was so common on the Web at that time.

IESG instructed the authors of RFC 2376 (the predecessor of RFC 3023) to
use US-ASCII as the default even when the MIME entity is transmitted via HTTP.
Since XML was new, IESG did not want to use 8859-1.

> For RFC2616bis, the plan is not to specify a default anymore (again:
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/20>).

If this happens, we should revise RFC 3023 about charset defaulting in
the case of text/xml over HTTP.  Everything about encoding of text/xml
is inherited from MIME and HTTP.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>