Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> writes:
>

>> I personally think it's better to start from code and  use data binding
>> tools that allow clean schema generation, since the  schema generated by
>> one data binding tool will generally be usable with other tools of the
>> same type.
>>

> Hm, that would require that data binding tools support conversion
> in both directions, schema to programming language and programming
> language to schema.

Most of the tools I'm aware of (Java and .Net) do support bidirectional
conversions.

>  Imagine also a group working on a schema for
> an XML vocabulary. Some use C++, some Java, and some C#. I can only
> imagine what a nightmare it would be if each modelled the vocabulary
> in their programming language; each would have to merge changes in
> the schema (produced by other members) to the model in their
> programming language.

I'd think you'd want to pick one data model to use as your "master",
then regenerate the schema from that and regenerate the other language
models from the schema.

> I think it is quite clear that the specification of the vocabulary
> (schema) is primary and mappings to programming languages are secondary.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this - since XML is what's being
exchanged, you want to have a definitive description of that XML. I just
think you'll have a more suitable schema if you start by generating it
from code rather than if you start designing a schema in isolation.

  - Dennis