Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

Hi Dennis,

Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> writes:

> I personally think it's better to start from code and  use data binding
> tools that allow clean schema generation, since the  schema generated by
> one data binding tool will generally be usable with other tools of the
> same type.

Hm, that would require that data binding tools support conversion
in both directions, schema to programming language and programming
language to schema. Imagine also a group working on a schema for
an XML vocabulary. Some use C++, some Java, and some C#. I can only
imagine what a nightmare it would be if each modelled the vocabulary
in their programming language; each would have to merge changes in
the schema (produced by other members) to the model in their
programming language.

I think it is quite clear that the specification of the vocabulary
(schema) is primary and mappings to programming languages are secondary.
Unfortunately, people who worked on the W3C XML Schema spec didn't
do a good job of making sure such mappings are possible or natural
for all features present in the schema language.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open source XML data binding for C++:   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd