Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> Michael Kay wrote:
>>>
>>> If you'd like to try a comparison, I have an earthquake data set and
>>> schema I use for comparing web service stack performance. ...
>>>

>> I'd be happy to give it a try if the logic isn't too complex (it doesn't
>> sound it, unless the geographical calculations are very complex).
>>
>> Is the server keeping the data in memory, or parsing it afresh each time?
>>

> Great! I'm traveling for the next couple of days, but when I get a chance
> I'll send you directly a copy of one of the Java versions, with the data set
> and full details.
>
> The Java code keeps all the data in memory, organized by area and ordered by
> date/time. In order to minimize the processing time (since it's intended to
> compare the actual XML marshalling/unmarshalling performance) it checks
> rectangle intersections between the query lat/long range and that of each
> area to determine which areas need to be checked, then does binary searches
> through the ordered array of quakes within an area for the start/end times
> in the query. Once it has the range of possible matching quakes, it does the
> final checks on lat/long and magnitude for each individual quake.

I would also be very much interested to provide an XSLT
implementation. Could you, please, send me the full details?

My personal observations quite support Dr. Kay's statements about how
much additional resources are needed if data has to be converted from
XML to and fro an objec representation. 70% - 80% of the whole
construction work can go into this activity. After recently finishing
such kind of work I had the feeling that had I decided to use only a
single, XML representation, I would have achieved the results in 3 to
4 times less time.

> I suspect
> the binary search part is more than you want to take on in XSLT, so we can
> try comparisons both with the search part enabled in the Java code and with
> it disabled (instead doing a check on each quake within the area).

Binary search has been implemented in pure XSLT since many years ago.
This is not a problem.

Many people do not realize at all how many "impossible for XSLT" tasks
have been implemented in an elegant and efficient way.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev