Schematron validation in Java

I'd like to be able to use both schema and schmatron validation for
messages in a Java web service environment. Schema validation is easy,
but schematron is proving to be a real problem. I've tried using the
XSLTs from http://www.schematron.com/ using both the built-in Java 5 and
6 XSLT handling (based on Xalan, I believe) and also the Saxon 9.1 XSLT
implementation, and both ways the XSLTs seem to work ok but the final
output I get from running the generated validation XSLT on a sample
document is just:

<svrl:schematron-output xmlns:schold="http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron";
                        xmlns:iso="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron";
                        xmlns:cl="xxx"
                        xmlns:saxon="http://saxon.sf.net/";
                        xmlns:svrl="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/svrl";
                        title="Rule set for Application Fulfillment"
                        schemaVersion="ISO19757-3"><!--  Â
         --><svrl:ns-prefix-in-attribute-values uri="xx" prefix="cl"/>
   <svrl:active-pattern/>
</svrl:schematron-output>

(namespace removed, since it's a client schema) whether the document is
schematron-valid or not. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I
might be doing wrong? Or for any other ways to get ISO Schematron
validation in Java? Or even if this is the expected output?

Thanks,

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski