Re: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XML languages"?

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Christoph LANGE wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 12:52:15 James Fuller wrote:
>>>
>>> u might want to take another look at xquery  ... I have found that
>>> most of the functional idioms are doable with extensions (1st class
>>> funcs) and XQuery lends itself readily to working with XML... u may
>>> even find you can port your code through time by directly using your
>>> existing xslt transforms from within XQuery as you figure out
>>> refactoring them.
>>
>> Thanks, sounds interesting!  Now that I only have basic knowledge about
>> XQuery, could you tell me
>>
>> * how to use XSL transformations from within XQuery
>
> very clumsily if you are using an XML DB, losing the advantage that you gain
> by the XML DB

w/o functional idioms then yes I agree, but once funcs are first class
then all that awkwardness goes away.

please expand ?

>> * where to find such functional extensions
>> ?
>
> You *get* to make/maintain different XQuery templates for each processor you
> want to try out/use.

I agree that we need the equiv of EXSLT for XQuery quick ...
functional sigs are all different everywhere and all this is just
vendor lockin in a new disguise.

> XQuery - the thinking man's PHP (but without PHP's standardization)

hehe, I never knew that php had standardisation (I assume u being
ironic??) and dont get me started on the probs associated with php
(all funcs in the same namespace is a start ...)

... as for xquery it was never intended to be used as a replacement
for php ... its an answer to sql

The relational data model is based on set theory and predicate logic.
Data is represented as n-ary relations and the use of relational
algebra is applicable. XQuery addresses the need of the xml data
model.

that being said XQuery is a useful language in its own right, just as
much as XSLT is.

Jim Fuller