Re: [xml-dev] Feasibility of "do all application coding in the XML languages"?

On Dec 2, 2008, at 9:44 AM, James Fuller wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks, sounds interesting!  Now that I only have basic knowledge
>>> about
>>> XQuery, could you tell me
>>>
>>> * how to use XSL transformations from within XQuery
>>
>> very clumsily if you are using an XML DB, losing the advantage that
>> you gain
>> by the XML DB
>
> w/o functional idioms then yes I agree, but once funcs are first class
> then all that awkwardness goes away.
>
> please expand ?

In an XML DB, XQuery can operate natively on the whole database
without creating some DOM structure in memory. When you use XSL with
an XML DB, you have to create some source DOM in memory to feed the
transform. (There is some work being done in eXist to allow XSL to run
natively on it - don't have the link...)

>>> * where to find such functional extensions
>>> ?
>>
>> You *get* to make/maintain different XQuery templates for each
>> processor you
>> want to try out/use.
>

> I agree that we need the equiv of EXSLT for XQuery quick ...
> functional sigs are all different everywhere and all this is just
> vendor lockin in a new disguise.

Yep, even the same functions - eval for example - require you to
basically maintain a different (set of) XQuery for each processor.
There is no way to test if there is a 'function-available' or the like.

>> XQuery - the thinking man's PHP (but without PHP's standardization)
>
> hehe, I never knew that php had standardisation (I assume u being
> ironic??) and dont get me started on the probs associated with php
> (all funcs in the same namespace is a start ...)
>
> ... as for xquery it was never intended to be used as a replacement
> for php ... its an answer to sql

yea, but a lot of people are using it like PHP rather than a
replacement for SQL on XML. It is the way XML DB vendors recommend you
make webapps. Writers/editors (at least the ones I have been reading)
seem to think this is the way to go. It seems like a step backwards.

best,
-Rob