Re: [xml-dev] External subset processing by browsers

Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> I continue to be astonished/frustrated/furious each time I forget and
> add a few entity declarations to my everyday document DTD and then
> discover that Firefox (3.0.4) blows up on XML which uses the result.
>
> To my surprise Opera (9.62) simply displays the entity reference --
> not sure which is worse.

Firefox. There are two separate issues here:

1. Whether Firefox should read the external DTD subset.
2. How it should treat unrecognized entities when it doesn't read the
external subset.

Let me check the spec, but my recollection is that if the external DTD
subset is not read, unrecognized entities are not a fatal error.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@metalab.unc.edu