Re: [xml-dev] Top 5 posters to xml-dev

On Dec 10, 2008, at 1:43 PM, John Snelson wrote:

> Robert Koberg wrote:
>>>
>>> On the client side, you're right to wonder about this.  I meant on
>>> the server side, where XQuery is sifting through vast volumes of
>>> data.
>> That's the thing. On the server side, they are using proprietary
>> (and often duplicated) extensions written in java and/or C.
>
> Does that mean that you can't write a Java application, because it
> has a JVM written in C?

I did not say anything like that. You can write whatever you want. I
did not even mention that the web server is most likely not written in
XQuery... I guess I was being a troll and further venting my
frustration that XQuery *needs* proprietary extensions to make it work
like a PHP for smart folk :)

> I think your line of argument misses the point.

My main point is (and has been in a related thread) that XQuery/XML DB
vendors create a lot of non standard extensions and that most XQuery
written is not standard. The thread I am referring to was about how
XML Schema processors are like browser wars. I mentioned that I
thought XQuery was more like browser wars. That brought up the write
your apps in XQuery/XSL. I said that XQuery kind of sucks as it stands
now because of all the proprietary extensions.

The benefit of a standardized language is that it is standardized. You
can't drop the MarkMail app in another XQuery/XML DB and have it work.
But, you could probably rename some of the namespaces for things like
get-parameter and the like to make it work.

-Rob