RE: [xml-dev] Norbert Mikula

Thanks Ken and all the others in the XML world who have posted in their blogs or in the online guestbook http://www.legacy.com/SeattleTimes/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=122901048 .  It's open for another 3 weeks for others who have rememberances to share.

I met his inlaws and a couple members of his family in Austria at the memorial service on Saturday. They seemed comforted to hear so many stories about the innovation and integrity Norbert showed in his professional life, and those of us who knew him only professionally were touched by stories of his early life in Austria and his family life here.

I was shocked to learn how young he was, because I'd first encountered him 10 years ago as a mature and respected technologist and he had a quite senior position at Microsoft, and had just been promoted to an even more responsible role.

Finally, the obituary http://www.legacy.com/SeattleTimes/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=122901048 noted "Norbert's favorite charities were for the health & welfare of animals." If anyone is so inspired to donate in honor of his memory, there are a couple of animal welfare horror stories in the local news this week that identify how to help...

http://www.komonews.com/news/37796254.html
http://www.komonews.com/news/37862204.html