Re: [xml-dev] Validate **against** a schema OR validate **with** a schema?

At 2009-01-22 07:26 -0500, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>Consider these two statements:
>
>1. I validated the XML instance document against the schema.

... when I'm using validation to check conformance to document constraints.

>2. I validated the XML instance document with the schema.

... when I'm using validation to augment my XML with type information
from the schema on my way in to my stylesheet or application.  After
all, the same XML with two different schemas can supply different
information to the stylesheet or application.

>Which is the proper statement? Or are they both proper?

I think they each have their use.

>Or is there some other way that is proper?

"proper" for what?  If you are worried about a particular word
conveying the wrong meaning, ask yourself what the danger is of the
term being misinterpreted.  I'm not sure if there really is a worry
... while I clearly see the difference in the two above, I doubt my
customers would see it or care.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO, UBL and code list hands-on training classes:
:  Sydney, AU 2009-01/02; Brussels, BE 2009-03; Prague, CZ 2009-03