Re: [xml-dev] RE: Keep business-process-specific data separate?

Roger--

This focuses things a bit, but how about some qualifications on these
lessons?  Or, alternatively, how elastic is your definition of
"business process"?  For example, an XML vocabulary might well exist
to support *multiple* business processes, and the creator might wish
to distinguish (in some way) that vocabulary from a vocabulary that is
(at least at some point in time) specific to a single business
process.  In your earlier example, imagine an airline creating an XML
vocabulary to express its flight schedule.  The airline certainly
understands that the schedules written using that vocabulary are going
to be used in many of its business processes (flight operations,
maintenance scheduling), but presumably it creates that vocabulary
based primarily on the requirements for expressing flight schedules
(and potentially interacting with concepts/vocabulary from other
sources;  e.g., both scheduling and flight operations require
vocabulary for expressing a "flight").

So, for example, doesn't lesson 1 simply say that an XML vocabulary
ought to exist for some purpose (eliding whether the vocabulary
actually *does* have a purpose, and whether or not that purpose is
"enabling a business process" or something the creator would describe
some other way)?

And shouldn't some of the lessons refer to multiple purposes (and
multiple producers and consumers)?

As a "validity check", you might want to take your lessons, and apply
them to a sample of XML vocabularies you think are "successful" in
some sense.  If a "successful" vocabulary doesn't seem to satisfy one
or more lesson, perhaps the lesson needs to be tweaked.

--Frank