RE: [xml-dev] RE: Keep business-process-specific data separate?

Roger,

The point I didn't make very well is that there are often two business
processes. In your example, the first is the internal processing of the
message. The second is the process relating to the physical transportation.
Many of the second type of process can share common internal processing. My
example was sending messages through the UK Government Gateway. These all
share the first process - routing based on the message type, timestamping
etc., but the second process could be submission of a tax return, applying
for benefits, applying for a driving test or many other possibilities.

Also, don't forget the power of Schematron, CAM etc. These let you use a
common schema (of the W3C XML Schema type) as data is added or removed from
a message as it passes through a business process while allowing additional
checking of message content relating to different stages of the business
process. As an example, the OASIS Election Markup Language has a schema for
an election list. This is used in many parts of the electoral process, and I
know of cases where Schematron is used to provide additional checking based
on the specific process.

Regards

Paul