RE: [xml-dev] RE: Keep business-process-specific data separate?

Roger,

#6 does not capture my point, but other statements you wrote do. I think
it might be helpful to point out a distinction that I think applies
here. There are message-type (my terminology) XML documents, which are
one-way, one-purpose, and immutable. "Standard" Purchase orders,
invoices, and inventory reports are examples of this type. Then there
are workflow-related (my terminology) XML documents, which are routed,
and may change as various stops along a route, and may serve multiple
purposes. I don't have any concrete examples of this, but I'm sure there
are many. I have considerable experience with "message-type" XML
documents and related schema best practices and no experience with the
"workflow-type". I understand your example to be a workflow-type XML
document, the design best practices of which I can imagine, but not
comment on with any authority. I don't suggest that you recognize this
distinction in your summary, just that a different set of design best
practices may apply to each.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jim Wilson