RE: [xml-dev] Syntax versus Semantics (was: "vocabulary constraints" and other constraints (was: Re: [xml-dev] RE: Difference between "normalize" and "canonicalize"?))

Unfortunately we can't use the word "semantics" without hitting the abuse of
the term that has always existed in the world of compilers, where everything
outside the BNF grammar (for example, a rule that you can't refer to a
variable that hasn't been declared) is traditionally referred to as
"semantics". As far as I can tell, this bears almost no relationship to the
use of the term by those studying natural languages, whose analog in
programming would be answering the question "what does the program do?", and
whose analog for XML would be "what information does the XML document convey
to the recipient?".

Because of this history of disparate meanings for the word, my own
preference is to avoid using it at all.

We're talking here about rules for deciding statically whether a document is
or is not a member of some set of valid documents, for example the set of
valid XSLT stylesheets. Building on Michael S-McQ's analysis, I would
suggest one might classify the validity rules according to the computational
power needed to express them:

(a) those rules that can be expressed using regular expressions

(b) those rules that can be expressed in BNF

(c) those rules that can be expressed in first-order predicate calculus
(e.g. XPath 2.0)

(d) those rules that can only be evaluated using a Turing machine.

XSD 1.1 gives us (a) and (c). I don't know whether (b) is a subset of (c) -
I suspect not. (Any theorists listening who can tell me?) In Saxon I'm also
allowing (d) by virtue of XPath assertions that call out to extension
functions written in Java - for example that allows you to test whether the
value of the select attribute in a stylesheet is indeed a valid XPath
expression.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/