From: Ken Starks [mailto:ken@lampsacos.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:08 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Cc: costello@mitre.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Machine vs Human: The Disputed Territory (was:

>   there are clear winners on one side
>   or the other, but with no end to the
>   overall conflict in sight.
>
>   I think the best we can expect is a
>   certain equilibrium between what
>   machines can profitably perform
>   and what humans will profitably perform
>
>   The disputed territory moves across the
>   landscape, but never completely disappears.
>

> Awesome imagery Bruce! I enjoyed it so much that I created a graphic:
>
> http://www.xfront.com/machine-vs-human-the-disputed-territory.gif
>

> /Roger

Although I expect us to get a slap on the wrist for being off-topic, I
can't resist making a response.

I want to live in Utopia, by the way.

In my world, the one I am trying to build, there will be no conflict
whatever between humans and machines.
Taking an evolutionary metaphor (i.e. Memes for Genes) it will be a
supreme example of symbiosis, of
the 'nice guys always win' branch of evolution rather than the 'red in
tooth and claw' branch.

I want machines to be life-enhancing, never to increase drudgery, so I'm

pretty strong a bit of artificial
selection of collaborative memes and pruning out of drudgery-promoting
ones.

Roger, anyone else, make a graphic of that if you like!

Ken.