Re: [xml-dev] Whither JDOM?

Klotz, Leigh wrote:
> Thank you for your prompt response.  I'm quite sure that JDOM is
> signalling the error, having looked at the code, the documentation, and
> the mailing list.
>
> Here's the documentation for the Verifier method that the
> org.jdom.Element constructor uses:
>   "This is a utility function for determining whether a specified
> character is a letter
>    according to production 84 of the XML 1.0 specification."
>
> http://www.jdom.org/docs/apidocs/org/jdom/Verifier.html#isXMLLetter(char
> )

Now that you mention it, I may have written that code some years ago.
Though I think it's been optimized by others since then, the basic gist
is the same. JDOM attempts to avoid potentially malformed documents.

I'm pretty sure Jason is still maintaining JDOM in what little spare
time he has, but it's not his major focus. Whether you could convince
him to make the change you want, I don't know. I, for one, would
strongly recommend against such a change. JDOM is doing you a favor by
rejecting your document. Interoperable code pretends XML 1.0 5th edition
never happened. It is possibly the single worst spec I have ever seen
come out of the W3C, and has done considerable harm to the XML-using
community.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA