Re: [xml-dev] XML 2001 conference proceedings online?

At 1:53 PM +0000 3/23/09, DavePawson wrote:
>Michael Kay wrote:
>>As far as I can see IDEAlliance have moved all these conference
>>proceedings to an area that you can only access by subscription.
>>This is very sad for the community, though they are almost
>>certainly within their rights.
>

>Made to look worse by the excellent example of XML Prague?
>On line real time video which is said to be made
>available after the conference as well!
>
>Somehow I can't see Balisage stepping up to that plate.

The XML Prague resources are fabulous, and I admire the people who
are creating such a valuable resource!

We at Balisage have a slightly different point of view. We invest
significant energy in creating the Balisage proceedings, which we
have committed to making permanently available to the public for
free. (By "permanently" I mean for as long as I have anything to say
about it. I have no idea what will have replaced the web in 200
years, and I cannot promise that Balisage papers will be available on
it. But we will be registering DOIs for the papers with CrossRef, so
they will be locatable for a long time.)

Balisage isn't going to create video of the conference, mostly
because in my opinion it changes the nature of the event. Pointing a
video camera at people tends to reduce the number and quality of
questions from the floor and is likely to stifle the interactive
discussion we prize at Balisage. (Also we don't have the money.)

-- Tommie Usdin
    chair, Balisage: The Markup Conference

Balisage: The Markup Conference 2009          mailto:info@balisage.net
August 11-14, 2009                             http://www.balisage.net
Processing XML Efficiently: August 10, 2009           Montreal, Canada