Re: [xml-dev] xsd versioning

On 24 Mar 2009, at 10:07 , C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

> To be precise [ah OOOH ga ah OOOHH ga, pedantry alert! pedantry
> alert!]
> they don't name the spec, either, in the sense of naming a document.
>
> They name the language, or versions of the language, with various
> degrees of specificity:

Well, if I'm going to be pedantic, then I should go whole hog.
What I wrote just above doesn't seem to be quite right.

If those URIs don't name the spec, then why, when one dereferences
(for example) "http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema/v1.0/2e";, does
the page returned say "The URI used to fetch this document
is an identifier for a ... version ... of the W3C XML Schema
Definition Language (XSDL) specification" ?

I suppose a more nearly correct (or maybe only a less obviously
incorrect) formulation would be "they don't name the spec,
either, in the sense of naming a single document -- they name
a document pair (Structures and Datatypes) which defines a
particular version of the language".

(My apologies to those who trained me in language lawyering and
logical hairsplitting, and who winced when they saw me aiming
that gun at my foot.)

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net