Re: [xml-dev] XIN: XML implicit namespace definitions

> Imagine having an XML vocabulary (or some other mechanism)
> that says, in this context, the following elements are in
> the following namespace, and in this other context, the following
> elements and attributes are in this other namespace, and so on.

I think we already have technologies that tell us what elements are in
what namespace dependent on different contexts. I think your problem
feels slightly different.

> Let's call it "myxhtml.xin", (for XML implicit namespaces).

I think I prefer something like this:

Let's suppose the structure

<xin>
<namespace>
<name>SVG</name>
<urivalue>http://www.w3.org/2000/svg</urivalue>
<prefixes>svg,SVG,s</prefixes>
</namespace>
<namespace>
<name>MyDefaultNS</name>
<urivalue>http://www.example.org</urivalue>
<prefixes/>
</xin>

the xin preprocessor when given an XML like this

<test>
<s:rect width="300" height="100"
style="fill:rgb(100,0,255);stroke-width:5;
stroke:rgb(0,0,0)"/>
</test>

turns it into this

<test xmlns="http://www.example.org"; xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";>
<s:rect width="300" height="100"
style="fill:rgb(100,0,255);stroke-width:5;
stroke:rgb(0,0,0)"/>
</test>

drawbacks:

hand authoring xml, problem remembering prefixes - unlikely to be a
problem because anyone hand authoring xml prob. knows what they are
doing to some extent, and have prefixes they always use.

benefits:
I think this actually lends itself easier to standardization as xml:xin

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen