Re: [xml-dev] XML design for workflow management?

I think you may be combining several things here that would most
likely be separate aspects of the business process and the technical
solution space ?

In all likelihood the reporting of the claim and the management of
that claim are separate events. I am using the word 'events'
deliberately here.

The first event is a notification that an accident has occurred. For
insurance companies this is often termed as FNOL (First Notification
of Loss) and is a busines event that is notified to one or more
'subscribers'. That event may contain data about that claim (perhaps
including an estimate of the loss, but not necessarily). Equally the
FNOL event 'message' may not have much data in it at all, that is, it
could just contain enough data (like a Policy/Claim No) for the
recipient to retrieve the current 'state' of the process (and its
associated entities) from a Policy/Claims administration application.

Depending on the various rules (you mentioned 'estimated claim amount'
and claim location in your scenario) one or more other events may be
raised and notified. The controller of these might be a business rules
engine/state machine or perhaps a CEP (Complex Event Processing)
engine of some sort, and, as you point out a human workflow
application as well.

The event messages that tie the various applications together to
produce and consume event signals is to my mind a more likely
solution. There are a number of possible implementations, one of which
in the 'web services' space could be WS-Notification, or for a
slightly more agnostic standard something like the CBE (Comman Base
Event) that IBM use (CBE handles both business and technical events).
These provide a standard message format for both the data that relates
to the event itself as well as any associated business payload.
Similarly to the SOAP Envelope, meta-data (headers) and business data
(body) are separate.

Another possible avenue that you may be thinking about is CBR (Content
Based Routing) and perhaps even Itiinery-Based Routing. But from the
scenario you paint above it seems to me better to separate business
rules processing from messaging rather than conflate everyting
together.

Fraser.