Re: [xml-dev] A brief history of how we develop information systems

Roger--

The description of each of these stages seems awfully simplistic (I
expect you know that), but stage 1 really needs some work.  You start
out with "information systems" that "were decomposed" into
applications.  In fact, of course, what you generally had to start
with were individual applications that had been separately developed,
each with its own "file or files" (not "databases"), and often with
lots of redundancy in the various application files.   The whole
"database" idea was an attempt to first at least identify, and then
eliminate, this redundancy (and often associated inconsistency), all
the redundant processing that was involved in keeping all these files
updated (e.g., having to run multiple applications to keep "customer
address" updated in multiple files when the customer moved), and the
inflexibility when a new combination of data was needed for some new
application.  The first stage was really "automate (part of) your own
problem".   You can call each of those applications (or cluster of
applications) an "information system" if you want, but the real
"information system" thing started when people started to look at all
those apps and their associated data as something to be organized (and
it couldn't really have started before then).  At least that's my take.

--Frank