Re: [xml-dev] A brief history of how we develop information systems

I don't think that matches my experience, but it may indeed match others'.

My experience is more of an oscillation of focus/power between the
person at the terminal being in the driver's seat and the anonymous
developer at the backend being in the driver's seat.

So putting punched cards through holes in walls to the mainframe was the
supremacy of the backend. Then UNIX, shell programming and GNU was
putting the person at the terminal first. Then back to 2 tier systems
with RDBMS (backend). Then workstations & networking. Then
Xenix/minimicros (backend). Then PCs & spreadsheets. Then LAN servers &
3-tier systems (backend). Then the WWW. Then XML (backend). Now typed
XML and Web Services and mobile phone apps (backend) .

Maybe there is an investment cycle at work, with alternating investments
in back-end or front-end systems, to some extent.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe