XSL writing

Apologies for posting such a simple problem to a rather advanced list, but
I am dipping my toe into the world of XML stylesheets, and would very
 much appreciate a little feedback, and maybe some help...

Basically, I have taken an XML SiteMap, and written a simple stylesheet
to render it in a browser window. My attempt is documented at:

  This is being used as a training exercise. As such, I am trying to be as
  pedantic and technically correct as possible. Have I got everything
  correct here? any omissions?

  It works. Quite simplistic, but it does the job. However, I am
wondering if
  there is anything more I can do. I am most tempted by the idea of sorting
  a large SiteMap by the directories contained therein, thus I have a
block of
  http://site/dir-1/* entries, followed by the next directory, and so on...
  However, with my current skills, this is defeating me. Any suggestions on
  how I can achieve this?

Many thanks,