Line ending normalization

I'm having a hard time finding the language in the 1.0 spec [1] which
would make it clear whether the line ending normalization which XML
processors must perform (more precisely, "must behave as if it
normalized all line breaks ...") happens before or after the replacement
of character entities.  In other words, for the following document:

<a>x&#x000d;&#x000a;y</a>

is the value returned by the XML parser for the text content of element
e "x\r\ny" or "x\ny"?

Could someone point to the language which would address this timing
question?  And do the major XML parser implementations handle this issue
consistently?

Apologies if this has already been dealt with on the mailing list.  I
tried using the search interface, but got the error message "The
requested URL /cgi-bin/htsearch was not found on this server."

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com