RE: [xml-dev] A categorization of XML technologies based on the kind of rules they express

Hi Roger,

> What category would you place XSLT:
>
>  - A language for expressing process/workflow rules
>
>  - A language for expressing data validation rules
>
>  - A language for expressing user interface rules
>
>  - A language for expressing data relationship rules
>
> Or perhaps another category?

Definitely in the latter category.  In my view, XSLT also has a role in
managing all of these categories however, because rules are just data
and are therefore subject to manipulation in the same manner.  While
instances of documents in those other vocabularies are executable via
specialized engines, XSLT can also help take rules expressed in them
from abstract to concrete.
eg. transform XML Schema documents to XForms.

Designing databases in a manner which cleanly separates rules, data and
'code' is increasingly possible with XML, via XSLT and other
vocabularies.  Which is one reason why syntax matters - it (data,
including rules of all your categories) should be expressed as XML (or
be accessible as XML, at least) to enable manipulation via XSLT.

Cheers,
Peter