RE: [xml-dev] ANN: Updated XProc tutorial

My feeling is that Cocoon really represents a larger framework that is
meant (in part) to allow content to be converted/delivered in multiple
flavors (PDF, HTML, etc).  There is likely more to it than that but,
again, that's my general sense.  The Cocoon framework allows one to
build pipelines (output of one step becomes the input to the next) to
order to achieve the conversion/delivery but that is only a part of the
framework.  When Cocoon was designed, the pipeline mechanism had to be
built from scratch as there was no "standard" for pipelines.

XProc, on the other hand, is now that standard.  As I understand it, it
is not meant as a web-framework, delivery framework, or anything other
than just the [XML] pipeline definition where the tasks are those than
can be considered as core to XML processing...XSLT, XQuery, validation,
conformance, etc.  If Cocoon was redesigned, XProc could be considered
as an option for implanting the Cocoon pipelines.  XProc is intended as
an option over building yet another pipeline (from scratch).

Caveat...my experience with either of these is limited but I've spent a
fair amount of time writing my own pipelines and wish that something
like XProc (and an implementation or two) was around 5 years ago...would
have same a fair amount of time.