Re: [xml-dev] XML support in browsers?

Andrew Welch wrote:
>> Ten years later, it's clearer and clearer why XSL didn't take the Web by
>> storm!  I guess I really had nothing to worry about.
>
> So what were you worried about - learning XSLT ?

No - I've done that.

I was worried about:

(a) the Web getting a lot harder to learn than it previously was, and

(b) a transformation model for style that seemed like massive overkill
compared to the annotation approach of CSS.

The way things turned out, these costs pretty much only get inflicted on
people who have problems difficult enough to make them seem worthwhile.
  Even though I sometimes wish XLink had worked out, in general I'm
pretty happy that "SGML for the Web" wound up "XML for not necessarily
the Web."

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/