Re: [xml-dev] generate common xml shema from multiple xml instances

I further see following issues with the usefulness of XML to XSD
conversion tools.

1) Suppose a following element exists in the XML document.

<color>RED</color>

How would the "XML to Schema" conversion tool guess, that the element
"color" represents a "visual attribute of things" and generate a
simple type declaration like below:

<xs:simpleType name="Color">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:enumeration value="RED" />
    <xs:enumeration value="GREEN" />
    <xs:enumeration value="YELLOW" />
  </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

Which the Schema author may want to do.

In the abscence of this semantic intelligence, the Schema generation
tool may generate a Schema declaration like following:

<xs:element name="color" type="xs:string" />

2) It may be difficult for the tool to reuse type definitions. In case
of structural similarities in a large XML document, or a set of XML
documents, the tool may generate lot of Schema types, which the Schema
author may like to refactor.

Though I believe, the XML to Schema conversion tools may be useful to
quickly generate a Schema, which could be further enahanced and
refactored by the Schema author.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi