RE: [xml-dev] generate common xml shema from multiple xml instances

XML to schema tools tend to allow the user to set various options. For example, XML Spy asks if you want to create enumerations or not. If you had a single instance, you might just get

<xs:simpleType name="Color">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:enumeration value="RED" />
  </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

As Mukul says, it is then up to the schema author to fix this. I saw the original message as trying to improve this "first cut" by taking account of several instance documents. The complexity of the tool goes up markedly with more than one instance. For example, how would you handle this:

Instance 1
<a>
  <b/>
  <c/>
</a>

Instance 2
<a>
  <b/>
  <d/>
</a>

Is there a choice between c and d? Or are both optional? If optional, which order do they go in?

Since the schema can only be a first cut, it is unlikely that the additional complexity of handling multiple instances is worthwhile, nice though the idea is. It looks like the tool developers agree.

Paul