Patent on streaming evaluation of XPath

Dear all,

I was browsing through the archives of xml-dev on optimised XPath
evaluation, something I've looked at on and off since about 2000. By
coincidence, I stumbled across this patent application for "optimised
streaming evaluation of xml queries":

http://www.peertopatent.org/patent/20090125495/activity
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0125495.html

Pretty cheeky. The first time we did something like that was around
2001, when a student implemented it for me. I can probably dig up the
report. STX and its Joost implementation (http://stx.sourceforge.net/),
which was worked on in 2003, should also count as prior art. The only
claim I cannot quite follow is the one on the "XPath engine sending
instructions to the streaming component". If this is a material part of
the patent, it may be a different claim.

This patent troubles me. It is sits squarely on a key requirement for
high performance XML processing. I think it will trouble some of you,
too. If anybody understands how prior art can be submitted for this
(these pages are unclear about whether the patent is granted), I would
very much like to hear from you, and so would the USPTO...

regards,

Christian